Sustainable processing of steel slag
In August 2018, SIJ Acroni took over the processing of steel slagin accordance with the principles of sustainable development.
Unprocessed steel slag had no economic value in the past and was mainly stored at the company’s temporary storage site. Steel slag is now classified as a by-product in accordance with EU-REACH regulation.
The final products of slag processing are:
• Steel granulate, which is returned to the electric arc furnace as a steel scrap,
• Ekominit S1, mineral product used for simple engineering constructions,
• EAF C slag aggregate, which is used in road construction.
Certificate of constancy of performance (ZGPro-1, STS, 1+) was obtained for the mineral product Ekominit S1. Certificate of conformity of the factory production control (CPR, SIST EN, 2+) was obtained for EAF C slag aggregate.
MINERAL PRODUCT EKOMINIT S1
Mineral product Ekominit S1 is a material produced in SIJ Acroni during processing of steel slags (electrical arc furnace stainless (EAF S) slag and ladle slags).
EAF C SLAG AGGREGATE
Electric arc furnace carbon (EAF C) aggregate is produced in company SIJ Acroni during processing of electrical arc furnace carbon (EAF C) slag.
Mineral product Ekominit S1 is produced during the processing of mixture of EAF S slag and ladle slag. It is processed into fine-grained wet material, which resembles wet sand. It is used for all kind of construction embankments, but not in the frozen zone. Most importantly, it can be used instead of natural materials, which helps to preserve our natural
EAF C slag aggregate is produced during the processing of EAF C slag. The processing produces aggregates of different sizes. The material has comparable properties to natural magmatic (eruptive) material and is primarily used in road construction. SIJ Acroni reprocesses slag in accordance with environmental protection legislation, the Directive on industrial emissions (IED) and environmental licence, thereby following the highest standards of environmental protection.
APPLICABILITY EKOMINIT S1
• for construction of engineering, noise and flood embankments
• for all types of filling and levelling
• for rehabilitation of sand pits and quarries
• for stabilization and fixation of wet soil and sludge
APPLICABILITY EAF C SLAG AGGREGATE
• aggregate for bituminous mixtures and surface treatments for roads, airfields and other trafficked areas (size fractions: 0/2, 0/4, 2/4, 4/8, 8/11, 11/16 mm)
• aggregate for unbound and hydraulically bound materials for use in civil engineering work and road construction (size fractions: 0/22, 0/45 mm)