Reducing CO2 emissions in cement production with the introduction of energy-rich waste as fuel
With its own development and investment in technology for the use of energy-rich waste, Salonit Anhovo provides energy efficiency and emission control throughout the entire production process.
- Smaller carbon footprint of production
- Saving with fossil fuels
- Increased energy efficiency
- Introducing the principles of circular economy
Concrete and cement are ubiquitous materials in modern society. Due to their characteristics and the nature of production processes, they enable the use of numerous by-products from other production and certain types of waste in the process of their production.
Salonit Anhovo started to use the alternative fuels (waste as fuel) more than 30 years ago. With a clear strategy and the use of state of the art technologies, the production has been completely placed on the foundations of a circular economy over the past 15 years.
They invested in various systems for the use of alternative fuels in the rotary kiln for production of cement clinker. These are devices that allow safe and efficient acquisition of required heat energy by thermal treatment of waste, which belong to solid fuels prepared from non-hazardous waste.
By using waste, they reduce CO2 emissions and contribute to saving with fossil (non-renewable, natural) resources. Today, there are more than 250 cement plants in Europe that use waste as fuel. The production of Salonit Anhovo is among the most efficient and technologically most advanced.
- Cement plant has saved more than 10.000 tons of annual CO2 The production site in Anhovo achieves the CO2 emission level of 0,737 kg CO2/kg of clinker, which is significantly below the reference value of the European Union (10% of the most effective cement plants in Europe).
- The quality of outdoor air in Kanal ob Soči is in accordance with Slovenian legislation, as well as with recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO).
- In 2017, representatives of the EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development) awarded Salonit Anhovo with the bronze prize for sustainable energy. They pointed out, that if we compare the expected development of key indicators,Salonit Anhovo is already today at the level which will be achieved by the cement industry in 2030.