APPLAUSE – Alien PLAnt SpEcies
The project addresses problem of dealing with invasive alien plant species and explores possibilities of their useful use with active involvement of City of Ljubljana residents.
Invasive alien plant species can be a rich source of cellulose fibers and ICP, a project partner, is exploring the possibilities of their use for paper production and innovative paper products that are environmentally friendly, biodegradable and compliant with the concept of a circular economy and zero waste green technology.
Main activities and goals of the project:
- Sustainable urban development
- Raw material and product innovation
- Replacement of linear with circular business model
- Establishment of database of IAPS locations and effective monitoring system
- Preparation of the list of appropriate invasive alien plant species (IAPS) for paper, wood and food products, dyes and
- home-made formulations against plantharmful organisms
- Development of new, nonconventional approaches for producing paper from IAPS by using enzymes
- Education and raising awareness among target groups on identification, collection, processing and use of IAPS
- Knowledge development on hand-paper-making and manufacture of wood products from IAPS to preserve handicraft skills and local traditions at DIY workshop
Project coordinator: City of Ljubljana